Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

GAME PLAN


GAME PLAN:

After studying the NETS for Teachers, the standard that I found that I lacked that most confidence was Standard 5 – Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership and the indicators that I structured my GAME plan around were as follows (ISTE, 2008):
a.     Participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning.
c.     Evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning.

Participating in local and global learning communities is an area that we are lacking. Because of Internet safety and the privacy of our students, our district is very shy of using many outside sources that are open to public viewing. In response to indicator c., I tend to find something that works and stick to it. Many educators are guilty of this and a classroom cannot thrive if educators do not model and create a life-long learning environment. My GAME plan is as follows (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009):

Goals – To participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve students learning & evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis.

Action – To research some local and global learning communities that are safe and sound resources for our classroom, then educate and share my findings with our district for approval. Also, by attending my classes through Walden University and by collaborating with other technology educators throughout our country to evaluate the success of technology integration into the classroom.

Monitor – Create a checklist of expectations and concerns of our district and my classroom that we would like to see happening; child privacy, the learning communities focus, relevance, etc. As to current research and professional practice, I will monitor my growth through feedback from my instructors, through course work, through journaling, via my blog spot, and interacting with the group of educators traveling through the same educational journey that I am traveling.

Evaluate & Extend – Implement the local and global learning communities into our classroom experience. Getting feedback from my students as well as our district. Through interaction with my colleagues, gain knowledge and understanding to share with my students and other educators to follow.

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: a standards-based approach. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.

ISTE (2008). NETS for teachers. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, one of the ways my district has address the need to assist our teachers in the transition of becoming 21st century skills was to form a committee to determine the direction we need to take to accomplish this task. I am fortunate to be a part of this committee. One of the first things we decided to do is develop our own learning community to begin sharing ideas and to address the appropriateness of technology resources we find. We now have a password protected wikki, which has been helpful, especially for those staff members that are hesitant to explore resources on their own.

    ReplyDelete