Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Welcome To My Blog

My name is Emily J. McGrath and I currently live in MS with my family. Until recently I taught 7th grade Career Discovery, a required tech-prep course, for the Corinth School District. I recently became the Project Director for the MS Tobacco-Free Coalition, a grant funded by the MS State Department of Health. Now I am traveling to schools, K-12, and community events educating students and adults about the dangers of tobacco.

In the past my students and I have created web pages and blogs to use as an electronic portfolio. This was an excellent way for parents and community members to monitor what was happening in the classroom. We actively integrated other core classes into our projects and our blogging. The students relished the fact that their work was being published onto the web for all to see.

By using blogs our students were encouraged to be creative and write to the best of their ability. By using the blogs, students were unaware that they were actually becoming better writers and growing in their writing skills. Because the students did not see blogging as "writing", they unknowingly were using their writing skills and techniques they learning in Language Arts. As many of you know, in MS a 7th grade writing test is administered and I am excited that their scores were much improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment